The Law of Solid Ground Part 13
Jesus’ Credibility-John 5:1-14
When the Jews confronted Jesus after He healed a man on the Sabbath, He replied that He was working only because His Father was working. In other words, Jesus’ credibility came from results, not rhetoric. Leaders practice the Law of Solid Ground when their lives back up their words.
Paul Earned Right-Acts 28:3-6
When Paul continued living after a snake bit him, the locals proclaimed him a god (Acts 28:6). Credibility comes in one of two ways: Someone can loan you theirs, or you can get it from the life you live. People attach credibility to leaders who get the job done.
Paul Answers Critics-2 Corinthians 10:1-11:33
Paul felt embarrassed to defend his ministry and leadership, but he believed he had to do so. He had lost his credibility in the eyes of many Corinthians and good leaders know that is the one thing they cannot lose. When leaders surrender their credibility, they lose the right to lead.
Still, the price of leadership is criticism. Aristotle said, “Criticism is something you can avoid easily—by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” Paul handled his criticisms by reviewing his track record and reminding the people of this commitment to them. Paul attacked the problem head-on. Sometimes this is Right, while at other times it’s best to wait. Ponder the following list of ten ways to handle criticism successfully:
1. Understand the difference between constructive and destructive criticism.
2. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
3. Look beyond the criticism and see the critic. Do you constantly criticize?
4. Watch your own attitude toward the critic.
5. Recognize that good people (even Jesus) get criticized.
6. Stay in shape—physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
7. Don’t just see the critic; see the crowd: Are many criticizing you?
8. Don’t get defensive. Wait for time to prove them wrong.
9. Try to learn a principle. Thank the critic for what you learn.
10. Concentrate on your mission; change your mistake.
Join me next time for The Law of Solid Ground Part 14.